The Student Accommodation Service is here to help and advise you during your stay at NTU, regardless of the type of accommodation you are living in.

Halls of residence

The booking system for all the halls of residence is opened in May of each year. Halls are generally occupied by first year undergraduates (freshers) however returning students and postgraduate students are welcome. Our Accommodation message boards help students moving into halls make friends even before they arrive.

There are also several large privately-run halls of residence around Nottingham which can be booked directly with the owners.

Private landlord accommodation

There is an abundance of private sector accommodation in Nottingham, which is often the first choice for most returning students. The house hunting season starts on 21 January each year. The University participates in the Unipol Dash Code and only advertises properties on our web site which are fully accredited. This means that you can be sure that the property passes gas and electrical safety tests and includes public liability insurance. Therefore we would recommend that you only view properties that are part of this code.

Visit the Accommodation website for what to look for when viewing accommodation in the private sector and see their private sector checklist. We have made things easier by producing search checklist of what to look for before you move in. You will also need to know information about contracts, deposits and retainers. If you are looking for a flat/house share or have a room to let, make use of our Accommodation message boards.


Some lodgings are also available which usually means sharing a house with the owner. Contact us to find out more.


If you are in a hall of residence you will find that a basic level of insurance is included in your rent. If you want to cover electrical or other valuable items then we advise you to take out additional insurance. If you are in private landlord accommodation or lodgings then you will need to arrange your own contents insurance.

Council Tax

If you are living in a property occupied only by full time students then you are exempt from paying council tax. If you share with anyone who is not a full time student then as a household you will have to pay some council tax. Find out more about Council Tax exemption.

TV Licence

All students who watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown (regardless of whether this is on a TV, computer or mobile device) must have a valid TV licence. You can pay online or set up a direct debit by visiting the TV Licensing website for more information.

TV Licensing refund for students
If you are moving back home for the summer from university and no longer need a TV Licence over the holidays, and there are three full calendar months before your licence expires, you are entitled to a refund for the unused, quarter of your licence.

You will need to ensure you buy a licence early on, by the end of September/ early October, in order to allow enough time at the end of the academic year to qualify for a refund. The refund on a TV Licence bought after April 2010 will be around £37.

If you wish to arrange a refund or would like further information visit the TV Licensing for Students website or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090.

How do I report a problem in halls?

In the first instance get in touch with either your Residence Manager or Warden. If you still need some help please contact us in the Student Accommodation Services office.

What do I do if I have a problem with a landlord?

If you have been unable to resolve the issue with your landlord directly please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Accommodation Service. We are here to help and support you and can offer advice on any type of accommodation issue.

Personal safety

Living in a busy city means that you need to be sensible about your personal safety and of the safety of those around you. Make sure that you close windows and lock your doors at night and when you are out, and be cautious about inviting callers into your home. To give you more tips for keeping safe check out our Student Safety Handbook.

How do I find out more?

Contact Student Accommodation Services.

Gill street student halls of residence
Student accommodation
Private landlord accommodation
NTU student accommodation office