Nottingham is a big city by UK standards, but unlike bigger cities such as London or Manchester, the city centre is surprisingly compact, with everything you need close by. It has everything an international student needs; there is something in Nottingham to suit everybody and every budget. It is big enough for you to find lots of things to do, yet small enough to feel welcoming and familiar. It is a lively, multicultural and friendly city.
Take a look at pictures of Nottingham.
Where is Nottingham?
We have the ideal location. Nottingham is right in the middle of England with excellent links from international airports and fantastic rail, coach and air transport networks to other cities in the UK and other parts of Europe. For example you can go by train from Nottingham to:
- London in two hours
- Edinburgh in five hours
- Manchester in two hours
- Birmingham in one hour.
You can fly from Nottingham to:
- Amsterdam in 31 minutes
- Paris in 39 minutes
- Milan in one hour 24 minutes.
Find out more about travelling to Nottingham.
For ideas on what other cities and places to visit while you are in Nottingham take a look at the Visit Britain website.
What's the weather like?
People often talk about the weather here, because it changes every day! Each season is very different. In winter you need to wrap up warm and prepare yourself for rain and snow; spring is bright and fresh and our summers are moderate. We rarely have extremes of temperature; the average temperature in Nottingham in July is 18○C and in December it's 5○C. You will need to have a mix of clothing such as jumpers, T-shirts and jeans, plus a warm winter coat, gloves and scarf, and a raincoat. Don't worry though, as you can buy clothes at reasonable prices in the shops in Nottingham.
Did you know?
- You will get good value for your money here. Nottingham is ranked as one of the top 15 most cost effective cities in the UK (Natwest Student Living Index 2010).
- Our local economy is strong; 50 international companies have regional and national headquarters here - including Boots, Experian, Capital One, Speedo and Siemens. We are also one of fastest growing cities in the UK for job creation (RICS Foundation 2011).
- We are rated the UK's fourth most creative city.
- We have large Asian, African, European and Caribbean communities.
- Nottingham is ranked in the top five UK shopping destinations (Experian Retail Ranking 2009).
- We have hundreds of cafes, coffee shops, restaurants and bars to suit every taste and every budget.
- We are top of the green league because we look after our environment. We have cycle tracks, a tram network and buses. (the Guardian September 2010)