Cost of living
You will get good value for your money in Nottingham. It is ranked as one of the top 15 most cost effective cities in the UK (Natwest Student Living Index 2010) and offers a cheaper alternative to London. As a guide, you are likely to need at least £8,000 each year (approximately £666 per month) to cover your costs, excluding tuition fees. If you plan to bring your family, you will need an extra £3,500 for your spouse and £2,000 for each child.
Please note, if you need a Tier 4 visa you need to provide evidence that you meet the financial requirements of the visa including the living cost requirement. Please read the guidance on this.
Example living costs
£80 - £130 per week (some bills included)
Bills (electricity, gas, water)
£40 - £60 per month
Food (cooking at home)
£40 per week
£18 per month
Books for course
£100 - £150 per year
£100 per year
Travel (around Nottingham)
£15 per week
Here are some tips for saving money
- Apply for one of our scholarships for international (non-EU) students.
- Find a part-time job to support your studies. Please read our guidance on working in the UK. The minimum wage in the UK is £4.98 (age 18-20) and £6.19 (age over 21) per hour.
- You can also look for part-time work on our Students' Union Job Shop.
- You can get discounts on many things including food and drink when you are on campus, and when you are out and about in Nottingham by using your NTU Student Card which you receive when you enrol here. Undergraduate students may also want to buy an UCAS Extra Card for more savings.
- Set a realistic budget to make sure that you don't get into financial difficulty. If you need some advice on managing your finances our Student Support Financial services can help.
- You can get discounts for the bus and train when you travel around Nottingham and want to explore the rest of the UK.
- Entertain and cook for your new friends at home sometimes rather than going out.
- It will also help if you regularly check money saving websites for the latest discounts on offer, for example Money Saving Expert.