The School of Art & Design actively encourages its students to undertake an invaluable work placement during their course. NTU is first in the UK for the number of Design Studies students taking year-long placements (HESA data 2011-12).
We offer the opportunity of a sandwich placement year on our:
A placement year gives you the chance to undertake full-time, salaried work experience. You'll spend a year between Levels Two and Three working in industry, completing your degree in four years.
The School of Art & Design has worked with a prestigious range of companies, and placement opportunities are available for students throughout the UK and Europe. Some students also embark on international placements in the Far East and America.
What are the benefits of a placement?
A placement year is a golden opportunity to develop your understanding of industry practice and to boost your employability. It will also help you:
- demonstrate your ambition and make your CV shine
- learn more about the way organisations operate, especially their culture and values
- enhance and develop your skills, including the transferable skills that employers look for - team working, communication and problem solving
- possibly secure a job with the company you're placed with - employers often use a placement as an extended interview for a graduate position
- test out your career options
- make new contacts and friends, and get a work-related reference which will help when you're job hunting.
Once you've successfully completed your placement year (minimum 36 weeks) you'll be awarded a Diploma in Professional Practice.
Placement year tuition fees
If you choose to opt for a placement year during a sandwich course, you won't pay any tuition fees for the year you are working in industry. This means it will cost you the same to get your degree as someone on a three-year full-time degree course.
Placement student profiles
Hear what our students have to say about their placement experiences.