Nottingham Trent University is a modern, forward thinking university with a long heritage. Here are some significant dates in our history:
Nottingham Government School of Design opened.
The Nottingham Government School of Design moved to Commerce Square.
The Nottingham Government School of Design moved to Waverley Building.
University College Nottingham (UCN) was established on Shakespeare Street. The premises later became NTU’s Arkwright Building.
English poet DH Lawrence receives his teaching certificate after studying in the Arkwright building. In his novel The Rainbow (1915) Lawrence drew on his own memories of Arkwright for Ursula Brangwen's first impressions of University College, with the lines: "The big college built of stone, standing in the quiet street, with a rim of grass and lime-trees all so peaceful: she felt it remote, a magic-land."
Nottingham and District Technical College was designated.
Nottingham Regional College of Technology was opened.
The Regional College was officially launched.
Nottingham College of Art and Design was linked with the Regional College as a Polytechnic designate.
Trent Polytechnic was granted polytechnic status.
Trent amalgamated with Nottingham College of Education at Clifton.
The official name change to Trent Polytechnic took place.
Nottingham Polytechnic Higher Education Corporation was founded.
The Nottingham Trent University was launched and Professor Ray Cowell is appointed as the first Vice-Chancellor.
Professor Neil T Gorman replaces Ray Cowell as Vice Chancellor.
A project to transform the learning facilities across the University's three campuses begins, at a total cost of over £130million.
Former School of Art and Design student Simon Starling wins the Turner Prize.
NTU is named the top post-1992 University by the Good University Guide. The School of Science and Technology receives the largest ever donation given to a post-92 university, to fund cancer research. Michael Parkinson is appointed as NTU’s first Chancellor.